China Visa

Visa is a necessity for visitors traveling to mainland China. Visas are issued through Chinese embassies and consulates overseas. Your passport must be valid for at least 6 months after the duration of your intended stay. To obtain a China visa at the Chinese border entry points is very difficult.

Single-Entry Visa
The single-Entry Visa is mostly used. The period of validity of China Single-entry visas are usually 3 months, and a maximum of 30 days will be permitted to stay in China as a tourist or businessman.

Double-Entry Visa
Literally, the Double-Entry Visa is issued for those who need to leave and re-enter Mainland China.
Travelers who leave Mainland China for Hong Kong and Macau will need to apply for a new visa or double-entry visa, if they wish to re-enter Mainland China.

Hong Kong & Macau
Residents of most countries can enter Hong Kong without applying for a visa in advance and are allowed to stay for 90 days. A visa will be issued upon arrival.Residents of 65 countries, including the United States, Japan and European countries can enter Macau without applying for a visa in advance. A visa will be issued at the border control, and it allows a stay of 30 days.

For transit passengers who hold tickets and have booked seats on international airliners flying on route to a third country no more than 24 hours in advance, Visas are not required.
For more up-to-date information, please check with the Chinese embassy in your country.

Tibet Travel Permit
According to Chinese government regulations, independent travelers are forbidden from traveling to Tibet. Besides a valid China visa, a Tibet Travel Permit is also needed to enter Tibet. Issued by Tibet Tourism Bureau, the Tibet Travel Permits can only be obtained through travel agents.

Types of China Visa
Ordinary visa consists of eight sub-categories, namely L, F, Z, X, C, G, D, J-1 and J-2.
L (tourist visa): Issued to an applicant who comes to China for tourist purposes, family visiting or other personal affairs.
F (business visa): Issued to an applicant who is invited to China for visit, research, lecture, business, scientific-technological and culture exchanges or short-term advanced studies or intern practice for a period of no more than six months.
Z (work visa): Issued to an applicant who is to take up a post or employment in China, and their accompanying family members.
X (student visa): Issued to an applicant who comes to China for the purpose of study, advanced studies or intern practice for a period over six months.
C (crew visa): Issued to crewmembers on international aviation, navigation and land transportation missions and family members accompanying them.
G (transit visa): Issued to those who transit through China.
D (resident visa): Issued to applicant who is to reside permanently in China.
J-1 (journalist visa): Issued to foreign resident correspondents in China.
J-2 (journalist visa): Issued to foreign correspondents on temporary interview missions in China.